Claiming Free School Meals
Free school meals may be provided for your child/children if you are receiving any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (but NOT Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income of less than £16,190
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
The Government has also introduced the pupil premium and is using the number of children registered as eligible for free school meals as the basis for allocating extra funding to schools.
There is therefore a benefit to the school in registering your eligibility even if you do not want your child/children to have a school meal or your child is in Reception, year 1 or 2 and is already receiving a free meal.
Please click here to visit the London Borough of Havering website for more information and how to apply.